
Historical Site
Guardian Angels Church
371 Fifth Street, Manistee, MI, 49660, US
Church
About
On May 1, 1888, Rev. Father H. W. Grimme, of Big Rapids, took charge of the German and Irish Catholic congregation of Manistee, and steps were immediately taken to erect a church edifice. $7,000 was then allocated for the construction of a new church. A lot on Fifth Street, at the end of Sycamore, was purchased at a cost of $3,000.
Architect A. Druiding of Chicago designed the building and C. H. Pelton and C. A. Sathern of Grand Rapids were awarded the contract bid. The cornerstone of the new building was laid on September 2, 1888 and over two years later on December 21, 1890, Rt. Rev. Bishop H. J. Richter, of Grand Rapids, blessed the church under the name and the protection of the Guardian Angels.
Historical Context
Year Established
1890
Location
371 Fifth Street, Manistee, MI, 49660, US44.2421, -86.3217