Guardian Angels Campus
1 / 2
Historical Site

Guardian Angels Campus

525 Michael Street, Manistee, MI, 49660, US
Church

About

The Guardian Angels Campus encompasses the rectory, school, and convent that served the Catholic community of Manistee alongside the Guardian Angels Church. RECTORY: The rectory, built using cream colored brick from Manitowoc, Wisconsin and located to the east of the church on Fifth Street, was completed in 1905 as a home for Father (later Monsignor) J.M. Steffes. The plans were drawn and donated by Thorwald Colbjornson of Manistee. SCHOOL: Guardian Angels School, located off of Michael Street, was completed in 1893 at a cost of $10,000. The Sisters of Mercy were the original teachers at the school where they instructed the elementary grades. The building continued as a school through the 1970s. CONVENT: In order to house the Sisters of Mercy, a convent was constructed for the parish on Michael Street in 1903. The building was designed by Saginaw architect W.T. Cooper and Son. Upon completion it was described as being of "harmonious design and comparatively simple."

Historical Context

Year Established

1893

Location

525 Michael Street, Manistee, MI, 49660, US44.2415, -86.3226

Featured in tours